Epoxy Floor Coating: How to Make Your Own Epoxy Floor!
IIs your old floor looking beat up and drab? Do you need the look of stately natural stone in your bathroom, garage, or kitchen? How about a touch of exotic color?
The good news is that you can completely revitalize your old floors. And it’s simple, too! All you need is Stone Coat Countertops’ epoxy floor coating. Add in a little DIY spirit (or a contractor), and you’re on your way to a stunning new epoxy concrete floor!
To make it extra easy, we’ll provide everything you need to know about epoxy concrete floors. We’ll cover what kind of effects you can create, answer some FAQs, and even give a quick step-by-step guide.
Are you ready? You got this!
Why Epoxy Flooring?
Let’s start with the obvious: Epoxy floors look incredible! Imagine any natural or exotic stone you can think of…
Fractured granite? Sliced jade? Carrara marble? White quartz?
All that and more. Concrete floor epoxies are so easy to work with that you can create any look you’re going for. If you want a flake floor, solid colors, or something with a bit of sparkle, epoxy can get you there.
Not only that, but epoxy flooring is tough! It’s scratch-resistant, stain-resistant, UV-resistant, heat-resistant, and impact-resistant. That’s a lot of resistance! Plus, it’s sturdy enough to handle the normal wear and tear of household living while maintaining its incredible looks.
Finally, an epoxy floor is extremely cost-effective. Natural stone (like marble) can get obscenely expensive and hard to install. Flooring epoxy is affordable, and any DIYer can tackle an epoxy project over the course of a weekend..
Flooring Epoxy FAQs
We get a lot of questions about our concrete floor epoxy. Here are a few of the most common questions and concerns that we hear:
- Do epoxy floors scratch easily?Epoxy resin is an extremely tough and durable product that resists scratches. That’s not to say that it’s scratch-proof—nothing is. Even natural stone floors and countertops get scratched. But Stone Coat Epoxy concrete floors are very scratch resistant.
- How long does epoxy flooring last?This definitely depends on your application. In commercial kitchens or high-traffic garage floors, epoxy will last at least a few years. An epoxy concrete floor can last a decade or more in homes, bathrooms, and other residential areas.
- Is concrete epoxy flooring good for homes?Yes! Epoxy floors are great for homes. Epoxy is highly customizable, allowing people to achieve their dream home look. Plus, they last a long time (see the point above)!
- Do epoxy concrete floors crack or peel?Generally, an epoxy concrete floor will not crack or peel. Improper preparation or bad product may cause the epoxy to peel. And epoxy floors will crack—if the foundation does. As long as your home is stable and your prep is good, your floors will stand the test of time.
- Does concrete floor epoxy work for countertops?Yes and no. Yes, a lot of the ingredients for floor and countertop epoxy kits are the same. But no, the ratios for those ingredients are totally different. And so is the application process!
- How much does it cost to epoxy a floor? A DIYer can epoxy a floor for only a few dollars per square foot. Of course, the desired look for your project will affect the cost as well. Some pigments, metallic powders, and paints are more expensive than others! But one thing is for certain: epoxy is cheaper than granite!
Unfortunately, we can’t answer every question here. However, feel free to drop us a line any time. We’re happy to help you figure out how to tackle your next home project.
Your Step-by-Step Epoxy Floor Coating Guide
Scroll down if you prefer reading. Or, if you’re like us and you want to see how epoxy floors are made, just watch the video below!